Baptist Union of Wales
Coronavirus – COVID 19
24 March 2020
- The Baptist Union of Wales office will now be closed and all staff are working from home. Phone calls to the office are being re-directed to Union staff members. Union staff are available by email or phone call and are happy to offer support and advice wherever possible to the Churches. Where possible, meetings will continue to take place using online conferencing.
- Chapels should remain closed and all activities ceased until further notice. For the sake of clarity any online streaming should not be conducted from the chapel building which involves unnecessary travel and meeting with others.
- Food banks should be recognised as essential services and follow governmental advice.
- Online resources are now plentiful as churches respond to the situation. Please see the page on our website available here for a list of online resource available. Please note these are subject to change as churches reassess their online provision.
- Pastoral care should now only be offered by phone calls unless in exceptional circumstances for a vulnerable person. Delivery of essential items such as food or medicine should be left at the main door.
- We advise all Chapels to now be closed for funerals. Graveside and Crematorium attendees should be limited to the immediate family and kept to a minimum. All arrangements should be made remotely. Those in attendance should observe suitable social distancing as per the government’s advice. Consideration should be given to holding a memorial service when the emergency is over.